We currently have one class of Reception age pupils. The class teacher is Mrs McDonald who works closely alongside Miss Hayton and Miss Stevenson.
In Reception we have lots of fun while learning through play! We have a stimulating, fun and educational environment where we play, explore and investigate through various forms. Reception have access to open-ended resources both indoors and outdoors. We follow key themes in Reception using different topics as a base to explore children’s interest and curiosity. Our topic this half term is ‘Ourselves.’
The children spend the morning sessions taking part in Literacy activities and Maths activities in the afternoon session, as well as activities of their own choosing throughout the day. In Literacy we will begin to read some sounds and then words by blending the sounds together. In Maths we will learn to recognise and count our numbers up to 10.
We take part in Dough Disco, which is aimed at strengthening the children’s fingers, supporting them in their ability to hold a pencil and write letters with good control.
Mrs McDonald and Mrs Copeland will host an online EYFS Parents Information session later this half-term. In the meantime here is a copy of last years presentation for you to look at.
Please follow this link. EYFS Parents Meeting 2019
Reading in Reception
During Reception children will do the following to develop their early reading skills:
- Enter a classroom which has a variety of books and labels to encourage children to begin to read
- Listen to stories on a tape and use the pictures to follow the story
- Read books which are of various genres
- Learn to read their own name by finding their peg, self-registration
- Being to blend sounds in words to read simple words
- Learn High Frequency words