Curriculum – Geography

Intent

At Horndale County Infant and Nursery School, we believe that Geography helps to inspire a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people. Our pupils are encouraged to develop a greater interest, understanding and knowledge of their locality, the wider world but most importantly their individual place in it.

It is our intent that pupils will develop an understanding of the place they live and their wider community before moving on to understand more about the wider world, comparing locations, investigating, observing and studying human and physical features.

Implementation

At Horndale our Geography long and medium term plans ensure that there is progression throughout the school and that children are building upon knowledge learnt in previous years. The topics are designed so that pupils develop knowledge and understanding of the local area, developing mapping skills, identifying human and physical features, while being able to compare similarities and differences. Key geographical vocabulary is introduced at the earliest age and is revisited, repeated, consolidated, embedded and developed as our children move through the school.

We recognise that within classes, there is a wide variety of abilities and so we provide suitable learning opportunities that are matched to the needs of all children. This is done through providing support, differentiating activities and using a range of teaching and learning styles within lessons.

Enquiry questions are at the heart of Geography at all key stages from Early Years Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1. They enable pupils to build on previous learning and deepen and broaden their understanding through increasingly complex themes.

Where possible, teaching will be supplemented with walks, visits and trips to local areas.

Geography in the Early Years

It may seem a little strange to think about 3 and 4 year olds as geographers, however, the years from birth to age five provide a first opportunity to see how children interact with their environment and how the environment influences them. In the Early Years Foundation Stage at Horndale we aim to guide children to make sense of their physical world and their community by exploring, observing, and finding out about people, places and the environment.

Children explore these ideas through questions such as: What are the features of my home? What are the features of my school? What are the features of the local area? What jobs do people do in the local area? What happens in different seasons?

A wide range of excellent opportunities for Geography foundation work in Nursery and Reception is successfully built on at Key Stage 1.

Within Geography lessons KS1 children will:

In Year 1 children will develop their geographical vocabulary by learning more about where they live through the topic, Me and My School. This will then be developed to learn more about, My Home, My Town – the town of Newton Aycliffe. Then extending to My County, My City – Durham.

In Year 2 children move onto learning about the wider world, My Country, My World. Labelling the countries and the surrounding seas, identifying land marks before moving onto learning about different continents and oceans, focussing on the Arctic and Safari, comparing and contrasting the UK with non- European countries.

Throughout the topics, children will use ICT, world maps, atlases and globes, simple compass directions, aerial photographs and plans, as well as simple fieldwork and observational skills.

Curriculum enrichment

Children will have many opportunities to investigate and explore through curriculum enrichment experiences, starting with the school grounds and buildings, moving on to the local area, to look at human and physical features but also observe changes throughout the four seasons. Visiting areas of interest in Newton Aycliffe before visiting Durham, farm trips, local Churches,  Beamish and other significant places in the County, which will all enhance their geographical knowledge.

Impact

As a result of this Geography curriculum, our pupils will:

• understand the world by: comparing locations; investigating; researching different sources; writing and talking about places; asking and answering questions.
  • be inspired, curious and fascinated about the world and its people
  • develop knowledge of the location of significant places, including their defining physical and human characteristics
  • become competent in the geographical skills needed to collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data and interpret a range of sources of geographical information including maps, diagrams, globes and aerial photos

Geography Whole School Long Term Plan (Last revised July 2022)

Privacy Policy

We regard your privacy as important and any personal information you give to us will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulations.

We do not store personal information about individuals who visit this site except where they provide contact information via our contact us page and contact forms available on various pages throughout the website.

Any information you provide will only be used for the reasons specified and it will not be shared with any third party without your consent, unless required by law.

Your contact details are kept securely and are only accessed by authorised members of staff as part of the provision of school services. If you do not wish us to keep this contact information please tell us.

This website uses Google Analytics which provides statistical data about the usage of the site. This information is not used to identify individuals, but is collected to provide us with an understanding of the areas of interest on our site and how our site is being used.

If you are connected to the internet you will have an IP Address. This may take the form of a figure, such as 333.333.22.1. The address will be automatically collected and logged as part of the connection of your computer to our web server and may be used to determine the total number of visits to each part of the site. This data is not collected and used for other purposes.

This website contains links to other websites. The School is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites or organisations and recommends you consult the privacy information on those sites.

This policy will be reviewed and updated versions will be posted on the website.

If you have any questions about the use of your personal information, the Information Commissioner is the independent regulator for both Data Protection and Freedom of Information.