Welcome to Year 2
In Year 2 our teacher is Miss Fryer and our Teaching Assistants are Miss Beckwith, Mrs Bowker and Mrs Stainthorpe. We love working together, trying our best and being creative. In Year 2 and across Horndale, we use dojo points to help us celebrate our achievements.
This term we will be looking at Emily Brown and the Thing and Traction Man in English. We will also be completing campaigns to be chosen for the School Council. In Maths we are focusing on number, thinking about place value, addition and subtraction. We will be concentrating on materials, the Great Fire of London, Sculptures, coding and Christian Rites of Passage in our topic lessons.
We have all settled back into school really well and we are looking forward to sharing some of our super work with you.
Please also view more information about our learning in our curriculum.
Reading in Year 2
During Year 2, children will do the following to develop their reading skills:
- Continue to identify High Frequency words and know these by sight
- Receive more time for independent reading
- Develop comprehension skills
- Remember the use of punctuation whilst reading and the importance of this
- Develop fluency by reading
- Reading information from websites to gather information to complete activities
- Develop expression, modelled by the teacher in shared reading
- Read a variety of texts
- Access the reading area where a variety of genres are available