Sporting Aims and Provision
Horndale County Infant and Nursery School recognises and places a great emphasis on the importance of sport and physical education in the curriculum. We strive to achieve a high standard of sports and physical education provision from Nursery to the end of Key Stage 1. A wide range of activities are available as after school clubs.
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time.
- Engage in competitive sports and activities with good sportsmanship
- Lead healthy, active lives.
National Curriculum – Key Stage 1
By the end of Key Stage 1, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant programme of study.
Pupils should develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They should be able to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils should be taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns
Swimming and Water Safety
Horndale School will provide swimming instruction for all Foundation Stage 2 and Key Stage 1 children as a fundamental life skill.
In particular, pupils will be taught to:
- gain water confidence
- swim with increasing confidence
- begin to use a range of strokes effectively
Additional PE Information and Events
- SSP Infant Games Festival
- Sport Relief 2020
- Intra-School Athletics Day 2020
- EYFS Move with Max 2020
- Year 1 Multi-Sports Events 2019
- Santa Run 2019