Welcome to Year 1
We have 1 class this year in Year 1 and we are called Class 2. Our teacher is Mrs Stephenson and she is supported in class by our teaching assistant Mrs Hayton and also Mrs Powsey and Mrs Norman who are supporting 1:1 each day.
In Year 1 we work really hard and have lots of fun together by exploring our classroom environment and making exciting discoveries in areas such as role play, construction, creative and the reading corner.
We also love learning through a range of interesting topics such as ‘Colour Creations’, ‘Our Wonderful World’ and ‘Our Body’. The classroom is a happy, caring environment where all children are encouraged to talk about their feelings and are valued and supported throughout their learning to achieve their individual goals and reach their full potential.
We love reading in Year 1, especially our “favourite 5” which we enjoy reading each day during story time. This half term our favourite 5 stories are; ‘Class 2 at the Zoo, ‘The Day the Crayons Quit’, ‘The Day the Crayons Came Home, ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’ and ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’.
Please also view more information about our learning in our curriculum.
Reading in Year 1
During Year 1 children will do the following to develop their reading skills:
- Continue to identify High Frequency words and know these by sight
- Develop comprehension skills
- Remember the use of punctuation whilst reading and the importance of this
- Develop fluency by reading
- Reading information from websites to gather information to complete activities
- Develop expression, modelled by the teacher in shared reading
- Read a variety of texts
- Access the reading area where a variety of genres are available